Aboriginal Housing Victoria is a not-for-profit registered Housing Association and is the largest Aboriginal housing organisation in Australia.
AHV owns 1,556 properties in Melbourne and regional Victoria providing affordable housing to over 4,000 low income Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Victorians.
AHV’s vision is that Aboriginal Victorians are able to secure appropriate, affordable housing as a pathway to better lives and stronger communities. Its housing services are targeted to those most in need of support. Through the provision of secure housing by an Aboriginal landlord, AHV helps strengthen and maintain Aboriginal communities and cultural ties.
AHV is proud of the history and culture of the Aboriginal people of Victoria whom it serves.
AHV is proud to be a White Ribbon accredited Workplace.
Values and Objectives
Aboriginal cultural values underpin AHV’s values. Our values provide an ethical framework under which all decisions are made and our services are delivered. Our values guide how we relate to our clients, each other and the Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal community.
- Respect and support for Aboriginal identity and culture and for its tenants and stakeholders
- Striving for excellence through its leadership in Aboriginal housing and best practice service delivery
- Integrity, trust and honesty in all our business activities
- Collaborative relationships with our community, tenants, government and stakeholders
- Kindness, compassion, courtesy and dignity in our relationships with our clients, stakeholders and each other.
That AHV will:
- be independent and financially viable
- provide efficient and effective housing services for Aboriginal people
- manage housing stock to ensure quality and affordability
- leverage its housing assets to maximize housing opportunities for Aboriginal people
- invest in a culturally and socially responsible manner.
- develop constructive and mutually beneficial partnerships and relationships within the housing, community and corporate sectors.
- develop best practice community and tenancy engagement.
- advocate for, influence and deliver improvements in Aboriginal housing and other outcomes
- maintain high standards of accountability, probity and transparency to tenants, clients, the Aboriginal community, Government and the public.